Sunday, October 6, 2019

A Room in a Closet, Literally



           
The reading on Spaces and Societies by Gill Valentine reminded me of a very hurtful reality in my country: the way in which domestic maids are treated in the households where they work and live 6 out of the 7 days of a week. And one way in which discrimination, post-colonial idiosyncrasy, and disregard of them as ‘less valuable’ occur can be seen in the architecture of the so called ‘service rooms.’ These are the rooms for the “cama-adentro” (living-in) maids, in their employers apartments. You will be beyond outraged if you will have to see what I saw when I was looking to rent an apartment for me and my two kids in a residential area in Miraflores, in the capital of Perú, where I used to live. I wouldn’t have believed myself had I not seen it with my own eyes. This is a case in which as Valentine points out, houses "are not merely neutral containers", but can be also "read as a map of the social structures and values which produced it" (p. 64).

First, for some context, I should say that Lima is an enormous capital that holds more than 10 million people, this is one third of the country’s population of 32 million. This has its origin in migrations that occurred in the 1980s from the rural areas of the country to the capital because of national terrorism attacks and deaths of a left-wing group that wanted to take over power through violence starting from the fields to the city. We defeated them in 1992. But many Peruvians left their homes in rural areas during this time to go to the capital. Another reason is that the Peruvian Capital concentrates all of the economic and political power institutes, and that the provinces (analogue to the US States) even though they have resources, lack technical knowledge to use those resources to advance their provinces, whenever there is no corruption that hampers it.

“The world population became more urban than rural in 2007. In Peru this happened  almost 50 years before[1]

 In the last couple of decades the migration to the capital city was more for economic opportunities than for safety. One of many consequences of these migrations has been the availability of workforce for domestic jobs, mainly women and many times teenagers or even underage, often exploited by their employers who make them work 6 out of 7 days a week with no limit on the hours of work a day, and very low wages. Adding to that, some employers of the maids that live-in with them give them a different food menu than their family’s (usually less expensive); and the topic that interests us drawing from the reading, the conditions of the rooms they are given to live in are sometimes beyond human dignity. According to a 2014 study “De puertas para adentro” (From the Doors Inside):

“This job, traditionally undervalued and insufficiently regulated, is almost exclusively performed by women (95,8%) between 30 and  44 years of age (32.6%) and 14 to 24 years-old (23.6%). In average their wages are still below minimum wage or sometimes
inexistent[2]

 A Real State Boom happened from 2009 to 2012 in Lima. Peru was considered one of the world fastest growing economies, and one of the effects was the social, economic and urban transformation of Lima, the capital. Its construction landscape started changing with the vertical expansion of buildings for residential (and other) purposes.

The toilet is inside the shower floor. Photo: Pinterest.


This is when the hidden cultural values and social meanings of the homes encountered a manifestation in the way the rooms for the maids were built or even adapted. As property owners and architects tried to squeeze the most out of the spaces and at the same time please a market of an expanding middle class that wanted a living-in maid, the results were repulsive.

As I made appointments to go see apartments with 3 bedrooms including room/bathroom for live-in service maids- for me and my children (3 year-old and 12 year-old) - I was horrified with what I saw. One of the apartments, with an ocean view, very pretty and all said in the ad it had a service room but after touring it with the owner I hadn’t see it, so I ask her about the room for the maid and she takes me to the room where the laundry machine was. Behind the door to get into that room was a closet with sliding doors. She stands by those and slides one of the doors announcing THAT was the bedroom!! I wasn’t sure if this was some kind of joke so, I look at her perplexed and she said to me: they are used at not needing much space, but if you want you can put her bed in the laundry room. I run away from this old lady as fast as I could still feeling nauseous.

Maids in Peru are mostly people who come form the mountains
or the jungle to the Coast where the capital is. Photo: Panchitas

Another place I visited also said in the ad that it had place for a live-in maid but I hadn’t seen an extra room so when I asked I was taken to the kitchen, and right by one of the kithcen walls (and I swear on my kids I will never forget this either) the woman unhooks a sort of wood stretcher that had been tight to the wall. As she locked it for it to resemble a bed, she tells me that in this way the kitchen will always be clean because the maid will have to sleep there. I remember this time I did talk my guts to this person about the humiliation and denigration she was permitting with such placements.

Even though the Maids Law establishes that live-in maids have to be offered a “adequate lodging” by
the employer and the National Building Regulations[3] prohibits rooms to be built without natural light and ventilation most of the time in Peruvian apartments the maids’ rooms don’t have any of these and are usually placed between the kitchen and the laundry room. The ironing of the family’s clothing done inside their rooms with piles of clothing that are not theirs occupying the small space. And the bathrooms many times don’t have a sink and maids have to use the laundry’s, or the toilet is put exactly underneath the shower to save space.



In this apartment design you can see the maid's room right by the kitchen. Its size
is the size of the bathroom in the rest of the apartment; while the maid's bathroom
is the size of a bed. Photo: Coherencia.



As Valentine highlights,"architecture seems to make a physical representation of social relations in the way it organizes people in space," (p.66) and this is what has been happening in Lima. The situation has somewhat improved in the latest years, thanks to local NGOs that are defending the maids' rights, but it is still recurrent, and  unfortunately just a symptom of a deeper social problem; a manifestation of how some of the worst social habits such as discrimination and racism materialize in the places/spaces we call home.



**Two things I should add: this is such a hidden practice in society, that even though it is very extended I couldn't find pictures of these rooms. Maybe because they are so private and because the maids don't want to risk their jobs. And on the side of the owners of such places, they almost never feature the maids rooms in their online ads for rent where they post many other pictures of the apartments. Unfortunately, during the time when I witnessed all of this, I think we still did not have smart phones, so I did not take pictures.

This has givien me an idea of a project in my country.  

  
  







[1] Ignacio Pacheco Díaz, Architecture, Sustainability, and Urbanism blog in Universidad Privada del Norte. https://blogs.upn.edu.pe/arquitectura/2018/05/11/el-fenomeno-de-inmigracion-del-campo-a-la-ciudad-en-lima/

[2] Ariana Jáuregui and Emily Button, Academic Area and Research at IDEHPUCP, Pontificial Catholic University of Peru.  http://idehpucp.pucp.edu.pe/notas-informativas/trabajo-domestico-una-forma-trata-personas-invisibilizada/

[3] Nicolás Kisic, Architect for Coherence http://www.coherencia.pe/ese-cuartito-de-servicio/


No comments:

Post a Comment