I
have been researching hijra for over one year. I always argued that identity is
not only about how a person feels. It is very deeply rooted with culture,
language and place a person belong. Where are living explain a lot about what
kind of social and economical background a person belongs. When I visited hijra
community in my country I discovered small government funded houses where
hijras live. Insufficiency of proper education, healthcare, sanitation but at
the same time I noticed very strong bond and hierarchy of guru chela family
system. By their unique way of living, religious and cultural practices they gave
those place a meaning. Not just a government funded property. In the reading Tim
Cresswell talked about how place is more than just a location. A place has
meaning because people, memories, experiences and relationships connected to it.
Even Judith Lorber also explains that gender is not just biological but
something that is shaped by society. When I connect these ideas into my
research on Hijra identity, I start to see how much geography matters. I was so
convinced that its totally about how law recognized them but now I see it from
a geographic lens also. Hijra identity in India, Bangladesh and Pakistan is not
same even though these countries share a lot of history and culture. The way hijra
people are seen the names they use and the way they live can depend a lot on
where they are.
I
think I used the reference of Adnan Hossain most in my academic paper. His work
on “De Indianizing Hijra” was outstanding. Let’s not
forget gender identity is political. As we know, gender is socially constructed
and place is where people practice power. Whoever controls the narrative
controls the place by which I mean the interpretation of identity itself. That’s
why till this day we are struggling to give proper clarification of hijra
identity or maybe we just don’t want to. The question is not if the Society needs
a space to do the dirty job, the question is what identity they are abusing to create
that space. If look at media most of the
narratives, even the word hijra is popularized by Indian media. To be very specific north Indian narrative while
there are other regional names of such people. In Bangladesh hijra identity has
its own social and religious context too. Where religious divinity is popular
in Indian narrative, but Bangladeshi narrative focus less on spiritual divinity
in comparison with Indian narrative instead they have tendency to assume it in
a lens of genital deformity. This connects us to Cresswell’s idea of sense of place
because people understand themselves through the places they live in. The same
identity can have different meaning in Dhaka, Delhi, Lahore because each place
has its own history, culture, religion and social rules.
The
idea of home is also another important part of hijra identity. In our reading
wood and beck mentioned that home is not just a building. Every home has its
own sets of rules. Like whom belongs, how people are supposed to behave and
what is considered normal. One undeniable tragedy of hijras is often they are
rejected by their families because of their gender identity or gender
expression. Often, they end up in deras, a communal space (Alamgir & Azhar,
2025). These deras are safe shelter of hijras but at the same time it has its
own sets of rules and hierarchies what is known as Guru Chela system. Where the
guru act as a mentor or family figure. Guru is at the top level of this family structure.
Who provides safety, shelter and create space for cultural practices and gender
expression without the fear of exclusion.
This
really made me question what we really mean when we say home. A person can live
in the house where they grew up but if that person doesn’t feel safe or accepted
then does it count as home? On the other hand, dera may not be able to provide wealthy
environment but it creates a space for recognition and acceptance. I think the
most of interesting part of hijra geography is not about where you live. It’s
about where you feel that you belong.
References
Cresswell,
Tim. 2004. Place: A Short Introduction. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
Lorber,
Judith. 2004. “The Social Construction of Gender.”
Wood,
Denis, and Robert J. Beck. Home Rules. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins
University Press.
Blackwood,
Evelyn. 2005. “Women’s Intimate Friendships and Other Affairs: An Ethnographic
Overview.”
Design
Studio for Social Intervention. Spatial Justice: A Frame for Reclaiming Our
Rights to Be, Thrive, Express, and Connect.
Hossain,
A. (2018). De-Indianizing Hijra. TSQ: Transgender Studies Quarterly. https://doi.org/10.1215/23289252-6900710
Alamgir,
A., & Azhar, S. (2025). Belonging Beyond Margins: Relocation, Housing
Insecurity, and Naming Politics of Young Transgender People in Pakistan. Belonging,
1, 350 - 363. https://doi.org/10.1177/30290805251398411

_focal(600,400)_https___media.globalcitizen.org_36_73_367392e3-74f6-42a9-8db9-a99d9f83d725_hijra.webp)

Comments
Post a Comment