Sunday, December 5, 2021

Hobo Day at Athens High School

 

In case the caption is too fuzzy to read, I'll repeat it: "This intriguing photograph was taken on April 22, 1927, a day for letting one's hair down and forgetting the rules. Dressed in some truly outlandish costumes, students at Athens High School on West State Street celebrate Hobo Day, a tradition that has gone by the wayside. Straw, 2007.

NOTE: This post should not count as a post in its own right; it is mostly a comment to Noelle. The only reason I have made it a post is that I could not discern how to add a photograph to a comment.

I think that it is interesting that dressing as a hobo used to be common practice in a less politically correct time period. I think this photograph reflects the nature of humans in a way that may explain (if not excuse) a person dressing up as a homeless person for Halloween. 

    It is important to understand that many of these kids would have grown up in comparatively hard times. True, this predates the depression, but that does not negate the fact that it is the 1920s. Basic utilities such as running water, electricity and gas were still rare or brand new in 1927; "In 1937, only ten percent of Ohioans living in rural south-central Ohio had electricity in their homes," (Ohio History Connection). Certainly most of these kids would have lived in conditions far worse than most kids in modern Athens, some of even the middle class being worse off than the modern poor. Lacking a gas stove, central heating, an in-house water closet and a family car, the poorer kids, though still elevated from the rank of hobo, were far less removed than those kids of today. Many of their parents and grandparents had grown up in an even less advanced time, in a time when most families were lucky to have one room all to themselves, in a time before grocery stores, in a time when people were generally sick all through the winter due to malnutrition (Allitt 2014). Also, the "homelessness epidemic" of the 1980s had yet to occur, so it would have been far easier for them to see hobos, most of them young men, as a romanticized quirk of their society rather than their status as an endemic problem, perhaps the same way we view the bohemian characters of "Rent".

    All of that said, there exists in the 21st century a HUGE gap between hobos/homeless and the rest of society. More than that, any educated person these days has little excuse for not recognizing that homelessness is an endemic problem affecting families in rather harmful ways. I think it is in rather poor taste for privileged people to dress as a mockery of the families, the veterans and the otherwise dispossessed that make up the homeless, but I believe that this photo and its historical context may elucidate why people may do so without any malevolent intentions. Understanding this gap in knowledge may be useful in closing said gap and ending the practice in the future.

Afterword: I generally have a mixed opinion of the "It's a Culture, Not a Costume" movement; I understand it's in poor taste to dress up "as a Mexican" or "as a Japanese", but some of their examples are a bit too sensitive in my opinion. There should be nothing controversial about a white woman--or man, for that matter--dressing up as a geisha girl, just like there should be nothing controversial about an Asian dressing up as a cowboy, nor a black man dressing up as a Nazi soldier, nor a girl dressing up as superman. A white girl dressing up "as a Chinese", "as a Pacific Islander" or "as an American-Indian"? Yes, that's racist and should be discouraged. But a white girl dressing up as "Mulan", "Moana" or "Pocahontas"? I fail to see the harm in that; by that logic, any non-white girl should be forbidden from dressing up as Anna, Elsa or Ariel, much less real-life celebrities such as Susan B. Anthony and Eleanor Roosevelt; any non-white boy should be forbidden from dressing as Superman or Spiderman, much less The Great Emancipator Abraham Lincoln. Perhaps I've gone on too long about this, but I've had a chip on my shoulder about this since 2013, when this movement first came to be. 

Sources:

Allitt, Patrick. 2014. The Industrial Revolution. The Great Courses. Chantilly, Virginia.

    This is a lecture series detailing the evolution of poverty and privilege in Europe, America and eventually the rest of the world, from the 18th century to the present day. Contact me at nr303414@ohio.edu or 740-591-9511 if you want to know the specific lectures to which I'm referring. 


Ohio History Connection. https://ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Electricity#:~:text=It%20was%20not%20until%20President,had%20electricity%20in%20their%20homes.

    This was my source for the electrification question. Of course, city dwellers would have been more privileged than rural folk.


Shaw, Richard A., with assistance from the Athens County Historical Society and Museum. 2007. Images of America: Athens. p. 55, photograph 2. Arcadia Publishing. Charleston, South Carolina.

    This is the book from which I scanned the photo of "Hobo Day".


Further resources:

Kay, Terry. 1976. The Year the Lights Came On. Center Point Publishing. Thorndike, Maine.

    This book is partially novel, partially memoir, set in rural Georgia when the Southern countryside was finally electrified.







2 comments:

  1. Hi Neil,

    I appreciate your response to my post. It is extremely important to note that this article was written in 1927 to show how this issue has continued to be prevalent over the past (almost) 100 years. That being said, it is also important to consider that homelessness was not as large, nor complex of an issue then as it is today. You are correct, this could really help identify some histories behind the mockery of people are homeless. Not so sure about the use of the term "hobo," though.

    I would like to comment on your afterword, as some of the logic you use is extremely offensive. First of all, the examples you provide; a Geisha, Mulan, and Pochahantas are all characters of cultural significance. A white person dressing/acting as these people without recognizing, respecting, and honoring history first is called cultural appropriation. I also do not believe that it is an unpopular opinion that absolutely no one should be dressing as a Nazi soldier on any occasion, as they are not historical figures that should be celebrated or honored. I would also like to mention that Ariel, Elsa, and Anna are cartoons and do not hold any cultural significance. Abraham Lincoln is also not a beacon of the "white culture" you are eluding to, but a part of American culture--a nation with more than one race.

    I suggest you read over this afterword again and really think about both your language and ideas. If non-white people have to put posters up with the message, "Stop appropriating my culture," don't you think we should stop appropriating their cultures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we see eye to eye on the homeless question--I was worried that it might sound like I was defending the practice, but it seems that I was able to accurately communicate my thoughts.

      I think our differences in opinion about the cultural appropriation question stem from different attitudes about what putting on a costume means. I don't view it as honoring or revering the source material, but just putting on a costume. I don't see dressing up as a Nazi (who are DEFINITELY historical figures, by the way; if you don't think so, I don't know what you think "historical figure" means) as honoring them any more than I see dressing up as a Viking as honoring those people.

      Is it wrong to wear a costume without understanding the cultural significance behind it? If I do dress up as a Viking, should I make sure I'm able to explain the history of Harald Hardrada, Harald Bluetooth, Erik the Red, etc? Is it classist of me to dress as a cowboy if I've never experienced the harsh life of herding cattle on the great plains? Suppose I want to dress as a Geisha, is that all right provided I AM able to demonstrate that I have deeply researched the history and cultural significance of Geishas in Japan?

      You have a point when you point out that Elsa, Anna and Ariel are fictional characters (although they do have important cultural and historical significance in Denmark and Russia). So does this mean that you agree with me when I say that it would be racist to dress "as a Pacific Islander", but not "as Moana"?

      Let me pick some non-American historical figures: can black people dress as Henry VIII? What about Joan of Arc? Can an Asian dress as Winston Churchill?

      Also, you seem to believe that any American should be able to dress as any American hero. Do I understand you correctly? So you agree that any person of any race should be allowed to dress as any of the real-life people I mentioned. If this is the case, I agree with you.

      If this is the case, then let me ask you: If I were to don a US WWII infantry uniform, add shoulder patches that read "100th Bn./442d Reg." and put on my chest a name tape reading "INOUYE", would that be acceptable? Bear in mind I was in fact an infantryman in real life, and I am indeed familiar with the history of the Purple Heart Battalion. Would it be acceptable for me to dress as Dan Inouye?

      And to answer your last question, no, but I do think we should stop mocking their cultures.

      Delete