Monday, November 1, 2021

 Capoeira, public space, and identities




The other day one of my closest friends posted a video of her playing capoeira on the Paris metro. For those of you who are not familiar with this practice, capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian art form that combines body movement, martial arts, and music. The oral history of capoeira tells us that this was a practice developed by enslaved people in Brazil to defend themselves against the enslavers and resist oppression. Like many other practices of African and Black ancestry, capoeira was marginalized and even penalized for many years. Nonetheless, through social and political processes, capoeira became a symbol of Brazil, and years later it was spread throughout the world. Through globalization and transnational practice, capoeira has also suffered a commodification process, which, for some capoeira masters and practitioners, has implied a detachment from the roots and meanings of the practice. However, this translocal process has also implied that capoeira is being experienced and perceived as a practice of resistance, empowerment, and identity.

Even though my friend’s capoeira performance on the Paris metro is not the first that I have seen -or done- in ‘unusual places’, I think this is a very good example of how capoeira, and other marginalized practices, are useful to think about how we experience places and our bodies. When we are using public transport or when we are in a public place, we might feel sometimes constricted. We are supposed to seat on the bus or the metro and exercise or move in a studio or a gym. However, even in places where we are supposed to move, we find restrictions. For instance, it is difficult for me to find a place in Ping Recreation Center to train or move. Many open spaces are restricted for group use, so I have had to use the hallway innumerous times to practice. Sometimes I do practice in outdoor spaces. However, the weather does not always allow this. Thus, I have had to constantly look for new places to train and move. I am constantly negotiating with the use of these spaces to overcome limitations and movement restrictions.

I need to move, to practice capoeira. I do not do this just because I love it. I do this because I am working on capoeira. I am a graduate student at the Latin American Studies program. I have a Political Science background, but I am also a capoeirista. Actually, capoeira has now become the focus of my research. This once marginalized practice has opened many doors for me in terms of education, funding, and work. Likewise, it has opened physical doors for me. I taught a capoeira workshop with the OU Movement student organization, and after that, I have been able to use the dance studios at Putnam Hall to train. I was also invited to teach and perform in dance conferences and festivals next spring. In short, my body experience has allowed me to overcome spatial restrictions and has opened new opportunities for me in terms of social mobility.

Nicola de Martini Ugolotti and Eileen Moyer’s article ‘If I climb a wall of ten meters’: capoeira, parkour and the politics of public space among (post) migrant youth in Turin, Italy also addresses these experiences. They conducted ethnographic research in Turin, Italy, about the experiences of migrant youth who face the incertitude to abandon the country because of their migratory status. In short, they argue that this marginalized community uses their bodies and practices to reappropriate public spaces and challenge “dominant visions about what constitutes the public, how it should be used and by whom.” (2016, p. 188).

Finally, the video I posted here of myself practicing capoeira in front of the Alumni Gateway at College Green is a performance of empowerment and identity. I am wearing one of my OU t-shirts and moving with capoeira in an iconic OU place. This can relate to the ideas we discussed on how our bodies are places where we create identity and a sense of belonging, and, at the same time, I am reframing my understanding of the use of public space. I hope you find this post useful to think about these concepts related to personal experiences.

Work Cited: De Martini Ugolotti, N., & Moyer, E. (2016). ‘If I climb a wall of ten meters’: capoeira, parkour and the politics of public space among (post) migrant youth in Turin, Italy. Patterns of Prejudice. 50(2), 188-206, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0031322X.2016.1164435.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this is awesome! Thank you for sharing your art with us, Julio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epic post Julio! There's alot I can relate to in this. For starters, as a tango dancer, it is also very difficult to find space, my partner and I are always playing with new venues to practice. Another thing I can relate to as a tanguero is the commodification of the dance. Parts of the tango community were afraid of tango losing its lower-class roots, and like capoeira mestres, many move out of their home country to teach and have more opportunities. What's most interesting is how Capoeira is used not only for resistance in Brazil, but around the world as you said. People thousands of miles away take part in capoeira for either their every day symbolic battles of resistance, or literal societal marginalization. There is a similar story with tango. Though tango is seen in Buenos Aires as a "macho" dance, the dance has been used by the LGBT community around the world to combat homophobia and battle heteronormative roles and spaces. Your post reminds me of how important dance plays out in society for protest. Obrigado!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julio, I have been wanting to respond to your post and kept forgetting. I hope your work will shed greater light on capoeira and its beautiful history. I knew very little about capoeira, and seeing what you do with capoeira makes me so interested in learning about it. It also reminds me of the movie I watched ten years ago called "The Rundown" where Dwayne The Rock Johnson went deep into the Amazon to rescue a mobster's son. In the movie, Capoeira was mostly featured as a form of martial art developed by the enslaved Amazonians in response to the enslavement and hostilities by the corporate mobs. I didn't know it was also a dance until I saw your work, and when I recalled to how amazingly flexible and loose the capoeira body movement is, it all makes sense now. It is scary and aesthetic at the same time that, with the lack of knowledge, I called it the spider martial art the first time I saw it. It's powerful. At the end of the movie, Dwayne and the mobster's son decided to try capoeira that they learned even in a short amount of time during the rescue mission, and they killed it. We know it is an act in the movie, but the act of emulating capoeira itself implies that capoeira as an art is appreciated and easily diffused, and 20 years from now, the question is will Capoeira be able to maintain its originality, or to what extent would it evolve from its originality due to the transnational diffusion and commodification process like you mentioned? Then, there comes this fundamental question. Is art supposed to be stationary or evolutionary? Another point I want to make is the creation of "third space" by Saliba and Fenster as a form of resistance to negotiate your identity by reappropriating public space. On the other hand, when your spatial mobility through capoeira is limited by the social homogeneity of what is normal and prohibited, your identity is also restricted. Therefore, you are subjected to spatial subordination and marginalization. And, that leads me to my final point: the three approaches to understanding space in relation to spatial justice. The fact that you cannot find a proper space to practice capoeira is pertinent to the representation of space where those who govern space decide what is normal and whatnot. Secondly, the fact that you question the normative and actual use of the space is pertinent to representational space (fear from constraint and coercion). Lastly, the fact that you decided to exercise capoeira in public space is pertinent to space for representation as you attempted to legitimate yourself as the legitimate public and insert new cultural meanings to it as a form of "third space or in-between space", according to Mitchell.

    I cannot wait to read your research paper, and you know what, I also want to see you perform capoeira during the Homecoming parade next year if we are here long enough. That would be very engaging and exciting! Thank you, Julio!

    Link to the movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327850/

    ReplyDelete