Thursday, September 14, 2017

Privildge and why do we deny it?

White Privilege is, as Peggy McIntosh, put it best, “White privilege is like an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions.” Of course, white people don’t always ask to be put at an advantage, but in a western society they automatically are at birth. Being biracial, I have had a very unique relationship with white privilege. I can recall when I started hanging out with more people who were “fully black” they would always make comments about how I have white privilege because my mom is white. I would be angry and confused because, to white people, I’m just a black girl. It doesn’t matter if my mom is white because not everyone knows that. Finally, I asked my mom if she thinks I benefit from white privilege and her answer was, “I wouldn’t have my job if I was a person of color. Even if I was person of color with a master’s degree and more qualified I wouldn’t have my job because my boss has very obvious prejudices. You wouldn’t be in college, have a king size bed, a laptop, brand new car or anything if I didn’t have my job.”

I have been subjected to a lot of racism and prejudices because of my skin color, however, I now recognize that unlike some of my black and brown peers I have been able to use my mom’s white privilege to my advantage. The readings this week got me thinking about how people tend to deny their privilege, no matter the sector (race, sex, gender etc.). So, my question is, if I, a brown girl, can admit to how I have been put at an advantage because of my mom’s white privilege, why is it so hard for other people (races, sexes, etc.) that are in power or at an advantage to admit their privilege? I found an article that explains why the author believes people deny their white privilege. “Such ignorance becomes a tool of racial domination. By denying the unfairness, white folk never have to confront it” I think this quote makes a lot of sense in summing up one of the reasons people won’t acknowledge their privilege, they just simply don’t want to face the problem because it is not their problem. https://theundefeated.com/features/why-do-so-many-white-people-deny-the-existence-of-white-privilege/


Even though this conversation has focused mostly on white privilege, it can be translated to any person who is at an advantage. Cisgender, straight people are at an advantage compared to their trans or gay counterparts. Men are in a position of power over women no matter what the skin color. As long as people with power and privilege deny it and refuse to use their position to speak in favor of the oppressed I think it will be very difficult for the oppressed groups’ cries to be heard and their problems to be taken seriously, let alone solved.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vanessa,

    Thank you for your thoughts on privilege -- I appreciated your personal story with accepting/navigating privilege (of any sector, like you hinted in your post).

    I would like to share a personal anecdote on my navigation of privilege, and comment on this quote: "Such ignorance becomes a tool of racial domination."

    I was raised in a color-blind household. I didn't know it at the time, and it was only in college that I reflected on exactly *how* I was raised and how that impacted my ignorance and understanding of racism in America, today and in its history. I realize now that I was only ABLE to live in a 'color-blind' household because of my white privilege.

    I have since had several conversations with my parents on the many shortcomings this attitude can have for one's own understanding of race and privilege, but more importantly for implications of society and one's role in that society by being color-ignorant. Seeing "everyone as the same" is, in fact, a fallacy when there are STILL systemic and institutional barriers set against people of color, bodies with disabilities, people with lower socioeconomic status, people with "different" sexuality and gender identifications, women and the gender binary, etc. The list of categories of oppression is seemingly endless.

    We have made some progress as a family. One of my parents accepts the shortcomings of raising children to be color-blind. However, one of my parents still refuses to believe that categories and systems of oppression exist for people outside the dominant majority -- mostly, people of color. "Just working hard" is supposed to be enough. I disagree with this view and am actively working towards influencing this standpoint to *see* color. This is where I feel the quote: "Such ignorance becomes a tool of racial domination." comes into play.

    We as citizens all play a part in supporting or destroying systemic measures of oppression. There is no neutral or 'color-blind' ground to stand on, anymore. There never was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany,
      This is such a great realization. I think it's hard for people from all back grounds to accept and realize we aren't "all the same and just people" I think it's important to *see* color and appreciate it!

      Delete