Wednesday, September 10, 2014

TED TALK poetry

The Reading by McIntosh"White Privilege and Male privilege" reminded me of this TED talk

http://www.upworthy.com/someone-told-her-she-was-articulate-now-watch-her-very-articulately-reject-the-compliment

Sometimes we take things for granted, and never question if it is fair to own what we have.

In this video, Jamila tries to introduce how people judge her by the way she talks which is attributed to her skin color...

"when she is cooking in the Bathroom"(min 2:41), I though that was an example of intersection between identities and culture. We act differently depending on the people who surround us, and that is reflected in language and space. What I am trying to say is that we act according to the spaces that surround us. For example, this summer, I did an internship at the U.N in New York, and I noticed that the language I used inside the building of the headquarter was very different to the language I would use with my friends when I am going to the movies.
Places affect our identities and language use.

In addition to that she mentions all the inequalities her race has to face because she isn't among the "White" privileged.

Rasha Sansur

1 comment:

  1. Jamila’s Ted talk, speaks of many things I have encountered around Ohio University. This year I have seen/heard two stories of such instances. One, I was talking to a friend from India, where she was expressing to me how she feels exposed by her emotions in the US. She feels when she attends meetings and walks around town she has to pretend to be happy all the time. She explained in India if she went around just smiling at everyone she walked by it would be an invitation for trouble. Yet here if she walks down the road with a “power” face she is seen as rude and stand off. Many times actions are attached to language/ upbringing and in this case for her, they were.
    Within McIntosh’s writing she describes the "white privileged" as the “those who can control the turf” or cultural standards (pg90). For my friend , there are different cultural standards put on her, and she has been feeling forced to comply with those terms. These privileged areas for different people are seen all around us on the OU campus.
    Another instance is within the art department at OU. There are times when presenting work and how one describes their work are not “articulate” enough. For myself this went right along with what Jamila was talking about. There are times when, many of the art students talk in “art mode” and leave out the “common talk” just for the sake of sounding intellectual about their work. In both of these instances, things about our “normal” self are abstracted just to fit in with the surrounding society or social group.

    ReplyDelete